The days are long but the years fly by – Haley Lauren.
2015 is coming to an end. I turned 25 years old this year (full adult).
Yet I still feel like I’m lost and unsure of my direction in life. There are still so many things my younger self promised to do but never did.
I remember when I was 18 years old moving to Adelaide promising myself that I would have a book published by 25. That was the goal, that was the dream.
It didn’t happen.
But I achieved other dreams instead… Sometimes things don’t work out the way you thought they would, they work out better than you ever dreamed.
So here is my list of 25 Lessons I Learnt this year in light of turning a quarter of a century old (no quarter).
1. You are your own best friend. Period. Be there for yourself, comfort yourself, encourage yourself.
2. Embrace unexpected opportunities.
3. Smile even though it hurts.
4. Always show up.
5. If you think you can do it, you really can. Period.
6. Do it as soon as you can, the best time to start anything is now because tomorrow never comes.
7. Learn to live on as little as possible. The less you need, the better and happier you will feel.
8. Understand that money is just an object to exchange goods, and while it feels safe to be financially stable there is no use being the richest kid in the graveyard. Go live.
9. Everybody is just as scared as I am. Nobody know’s how to build a life or what they are doing. Stop comparing and stop thinking you’re different to ‘them’
10. Let people inspire you not intimidate you, especially your idols.
11. Talent means nothing, it’s all will and hard work.
13. Start making everything better instead of bigger.
14. Spend quality time with good people and people who encourage you to achieve your goals instead of those who gossip and have jealous tendencies. They are not your friends.
15. Become a minimalist. People only use material belongings to cover up for a poor internal life.
16. Spend time with all kinds of people. They will teach you all kinds of lessons and unravel all parts of your hidden personality. If you only spend time with like minded people you will never expand your way of thinking.
17. Keep your spiritual practice and inner development to yourself. Only share what is necessary, that’s also a part of the practice.
18. Eat foods from the ground. Meditate. Read. Journal. Write. Try not to think dark thoughts before midnight.
19. Time spent seeking inspiration or wondering around the park is not wasted.
20. Go chase your dreams regardless of what people will say. Out of sight, out of mind.
21. People who hurt you in the past are in the past for a reason, just because it’s 5 months past, or 5 years gone it doesn’t change what they did. Make peace with it all but don’t let them back into your life.
22. Music is a language and it will heal every part of you. Chase it.
23. Fall in love with yourself first and you will meet someone who will love you even more than anyone else ever has. Don’t wait for love go out there and create it.
24. Don’t try to fix people. Instead inspire them to fix themselves.
25. It’s okay not to be okay. Accomplish small tasks everyday and do it with love, kindness and gratitude and the rest will come.